Humility

 



Some restructuring is happening at my school.


And that means there will be at least some people in leadership returning to classroom positions.  


It is making some ultra competitive and fearful.


I was asked how I would feel and was able to immediately say that while I do have a preference, I would be okay wherever I land.


I recognize that people have many different gifts and different personalities that lend themselves to various outcomes. 


Sometimes I will match that.  And sometimes I won't. 


But listening to the concerns of another, I realized that our volunteer church organization has helped and pushed me to stay humble.


While its run by imperfect people so won't always be run perfectly,  I have served in many capacities and have seen the impact and growth possible for me and those I serve in every single situation.  Some have been easier than others and some have forced me to grow in uncomfortable ways.  


Some have taught me to extend the hand of friendship and others have taught me to accept the hand of friendship.  


Sometimes I'm the teacher and far more often I am the learner. 


I have served in the nursery and appreciated the love little children offer, in presidencies where I learned from others, in cub scouts where I learned to let the Lord's light shine in a whole new way and on refreshment committees that challenged me to think of others when choosing food to be offered. 


In every case I saw opportunities for the love that our Heavenly Parents have for our brothers and sisters to be shared.  


I have also seen stake presidents who upon release embrace their role as a primary teacher.  With no status or ego in check. 


As Elder Uchtdorf taught, "The greatest, most capable, most accomplished man who ever walked this earth was also the most humble. He performed some of His most impressive service in private moments, with only a few observers, whom He asked to “tell no man” what He had done. When someone called Him “good,” He quickly deflected the compliment, insisting that only God is truly good. Clearly the praise of the world meant nothing to Him; His single purpose was to serve His Father and “do always those things that please him”.  We would do well to follow the example of our Master."


So I won't have a problem if a current coworker becomes my mentor or master teacher.  Not because of who I am but because of how I've been taught. 


In the Savior's way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement