Verily

 



One of the most important things for the human brain is to anchor to doctrinal truths.


When we anchor to partial truths or false statements, it can create a disconnect, called cognitive dissonance, that leaves us unsure what or who to trust and make life incredibly difficult. 


One example of this for me was when as a teen I was anchored to this statement.  "If I keep the commandments, I will be happy." 


To be fair, no one explicitly taught me this.  I heard examples of people talking who were happier after they kept the commandments.  And I still had a very teen definition of happiness (no problems, and not lacking anything, finding success in all I do). But it could easily have led me to make the false assumption that if I was keeping the commandments and I wasn't happy, then the commandments weren't true, so the gospel wasn't true. 


Additionally let's not pretend that keeping the commandments is going to magically make the chemical effects of adolescent body chemistry disappear.  We can certainly make it worse by ignoring commandments, but as my husband used to say, "I have come to accept that for a few days each month my wife is going to rate herself as a failure as a mom, wife, teacher and friend."  


I may not have laughed the first time he said it but I do now.  Because it's our reality. 


So what would the real truth be? We are told to keep the commandments.  We read in 3rd Nephi of people living after the manner of happiness, and they were certainly following the commandments.  


The truth is if we keep the commandments as we have promised, God will keep his promises.  


D&C 82;10 "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."


Elder Christofferson recently further  explained, "God will indeed honor His covenants and promises to each of us. We need not worry about that. The atoning power of Jesus Christ—who descended below all things and then ascended on high  and who possesses all power in heaven and in earth —ensures that God can and will fulfill His promises. It is essential that we honor and obey His laws, but not every blessing predicated on obedience to law is shaped, designed, and timed according to our expectations. We do our best but must leave to Him the management of blessings, both temporal and spiritual."


So how do I seek these truths as I read my scriptures? 


Have you ever heard or read the phrase "verily, verily"?


Have you ever wondered what it means? 


It is from the Old English for true, real.  Truth.  Or truly, truly. 


So when Jesus speaks and says, "verily, verily", be ready for some revelation. 


Some truth that you can anchor too.


This week in John 3:5 that truth read: Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."


So I am studying that truth.  


But I also am consciously going to mark those verily statements.  And continue to build on truths. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement