How can I help?

 



This morning two of my daughters were taking me out for a Mothers Day brunch.


Only we didn't make it to the brunch.  


In her inexperience as a new driver, my daughter pulled in front of an oncoming car and we were hit.  


Airbags and smoke immediately filled the whole car and the force of the collision snapped my neck to the side and pain seared through my right shoulder.  


I pushed that pain aside and began frantically checking on my daughters.  


Both were conscious and the driver was crying and apologizing over and over.  I told my older daughter to call 911 and rushed to the other car to insure those occupants were also okay.


Upon confirming that, I ran back to our car and unable to open Kyrie's door which has born the brunt of the impact, I helped Ella from the car  and onto the grass where she sat down, obviously going into shock.


The officers arrived quickly and helped pry the door open and had Kyrie stand up.  Her face was bleeding and she immediately slumped over and nearly passed out.  They quickly called over the paramedics who began loading her up.


I knew that Ella and I should also be checked out, but didn't need  the ambulance ride and I began calling friends for a ride.  


The first two were unavailable. 


Then my phone rang and my friend, Rachael's, name popped up on the screen.  


"I'm here.  What can I do?"


Relief washed over me as this friend, who had also been Ella's 4th grade teacher took my daughter in her arms and held her in a hug as the ambulance left with Kyrie and I finished with the police.  


Then she drove Ella and the dogs (still in the car) home. 


So many tender mercies happened in this day.  But Racheal and I had had a conversation earlier in this week about how we often look for God in tragedy or difficulty with an intent to blame, instead of looking for Him in the response.


Rachael had been at a baseball game but left early.  She was in a part of town she doesn't usually go to.  She drove past the accident and turned around and went back to see if she could help even though police were already there.  And that's when she saw it was us.


"I'm here.  How can I help?"  One of the greatest service phrases I've ever heard.  


In the end we will all be very sore but okay.  


But I was able to message Rachael and tell her simply, "Thanks for being a part of His response."


Jesus promised us, "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”


And one way He has overcome it is by empowering us with his divine attributes and strength through succoring.  


And by allowing us to help each other both be and see a part of His hand in our lives.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement