Is Redemption Real?

 



I am often awed at the opportunities Heavenly Father allows me to learn and grow.


In the most unexpected situations.


When I was fulfilling a work responsibility last week I met with another adult for a routine item.


In the course of our conversation, she shared some very personal struggles and choices with far reaching consequences (unrelated to work and our school children) she had made.  


I had a thousand things to do on my to-do list.  


But I stopped.


And I listened.  To her and to the Holy Spirit whispering that I needed to be right here, right now.  


I tried to be empathetic.  While her sins may have been different than mine, I certainly was in no position to cast stones.  We've been studying about that a lot this week.


And then, with tears in her eyes, she asked me this question.  "Do you really believe redemption is possible?"


I contemplated her question for a few moments.  


Do I? Do I really believe in redemption? In forgiveness?  In the power of Christ to heal after we do terribly foolish, hurtful and wrong things?


I thought of our Savior as I looked her in the eyes and emphatically declared, "Yes, I do.  I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can all be saved from our sins and become the better, truer children of God we were created to be."


I could see her shoulders raise just a bit.  As if maybe there was a glimmer of hope in her dark world.  


And I was reminded of Jesus' invitation and pleading from Matthew 11.


28¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


ALL ye that are heavy laden.  Those who are carrying heavy loads. 


And that load is heavy whether we are the ones who sinned, who were sinned against or both.


Our Heavenly Parents knew we could not do this alone.  


That we WOULD mess up.


So a Redeemer was sent.  Because redemption is real- no matter what lies the world teaches.


We are all better than our worst moment.


Because of Jesus Christ. 


Sister Kristin M Yee echoed this thought when she said, "To all who are brokenhearted, captive, bruised, and perhaps blinded by hurt or sin, He

offers healing, recovery, and deliverance."


Redemption through Jesus Christ is so very real. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen for the Love

Gardening and Comparing

The choice is yours