This Mama Prays

 



"I see my mother kneeling, with our family each day.  I hear the words she whispers as she bows her head to pray."


The lyrics by Janice Kapp Perry are from a song that I love- "Love is spoken here."


But it was always much more of an end goal and a moving target for me.  


My kids rarely saw me kneeling.  I've had nine knee surgeries over the course of my life and my joints remind me regularly that I can go down but coming back up may be difficult! 


Our song would be more like this.


I see my mother praying after the first time my dad hits the brakes last second and she remembers we didn't pray before we left.


Or I see my mother leaning against the wall and tapping her foot so we can get through scriptures and prayers and go to bed.


Or maybe I used to see my mother kneeling by my bed when I was little but now she goes to bed before me.


My kids probably heard my voice raised more than whispered.


And they aren't sure if I'm playing a game, scrolling or doing gospel study when they see me on my phone. (It's a toss up depending on the moment). 


I'm at a stage now where I can look back and see the results of my actions- both good and bad.


And now my kids are mostly living elsewhere and I hope they know I still pray for them.


Not perfectly.  


Sometimes I fall asleep, am running last minute or just slogging through the details.


But I pray for them.  


And yesterday my 24 year old daughter brought me a shirt.  She said she knew it was for me when she saw it.


The navy background has pink lettering that spells out a simple message.


"This Mama prays."


She knows I pray.  


That I pray for my kids.


She saw my imperfect efforts enough times to know that this is how I operate.


I pray.


So to all you other mamas out there.


Keep going and keep praying.  


Maybe not always kneeling and with a whisper, but keep praying.


They will know and it will matter.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement