Ikigai


 


Ikigai.


A Japanese term for that which gives your life purpose, meaning or worth.


As  teachers headed into a new school year we were challenged by our new interim superintendent to focus on ours.  


He phrased it a bit differently.


The reason you get up in the morning.  Your why.


I felt welcomed but disconnected at my new building and missed my people.  They sent me texts, things for my classroom, and hugs and smiles.  But I missed them.


Last night was our 7th grade open house.   I stood by the wall (as a literal wall flower!) and watched, unable to answer the questions or direct anyone because I still struggle to find even my own room.


And then I heard my name. "Mrs. Potter?? !!


I turned and there looking up at me was one of my PreK students from 8 years ago.  


She flew across the hallway and into my arms.


"What are you doing here?"


"I work here now."


Her eyes lit up and I'm sure mirrored my own.


"Then I will be okay."


This.  


This is my ikigai. 


That we are all connected as children of God.  That we all deserve love and belonging.  


And I will be okay too.


And I stepped away from the wall and began reaching out to each student looking shy, fearful, different and/or lost. 


I still couldn't give them directions, even to the bathroom.  But I could give them a smile and a welcome.  


As Elder Arnulfo Valenzuela so simply proclaimed, "Let us reach out to others with faith and with love."


We each have our own unique ikigai, or driving purpose.  


But sometimes it becomes easier to focus on reasons NOT to get up.  


Or on what could go wrong. 


Or what most definitely is going wrong.


President Colleen K Menlove reminded, "We can fail to see and enjoy the unique happiness and beauty in each day if we are so focused on our desire for what we want instead of what the Lord has designed for us."


It may come in unexpected ways.  Like hugs from a former preschooler.  Or a stillness and warmth in your heart.  Or a longing to share what you know.  Or to create something beautiful.


But find it and let it move you. Ask Heavenly Father to guide you to what you were created to be and become. 


And be grateful.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement