Stuck in the Lock


 I was hurrying through my morning routine and headed upstairs to unlock another teachers room, which I share for one class. 


I quickly leaned over, slipped my key attached to the lanyard around my neck into the lock, and gave a quick turn to the left. The lock made a funny, clicking sound, and the key wouldn't budge. 


I tried wiggling and jiggling.I tried pulling and pushing but it was stuck!!! And class would start in 4 minutes.  


Horrified and going into a temporary and insane panic, I jerked my head back as visions of me forever trapped to the doorknob shot through my mind.  I know, ridiculous. 


Fortunately, common sense prevailed and I slipped the lanyard off my neck and detached the key. With chagrin, I looked around to see who was noticing. 


Zero. 


Zero of the seventh graders crowding the halls around me were in any way interested in what the faculty was doing even if they were chained to a door knob.


I still felt silly, especially having locked my key in my friend's classroom door and knowing she would now not be able to get in there. So I stepped into the next classroom and asked to use his phone. I called the front office and was quickly told that was a job for  our custodian. 


Greg came quickly with a cart full of possible tools, and within a few moments was able to dislodge my key. I asked him if I was good to go, but he said not yet that the lock needed his special graphite lubricant a product by the same company, which makes WD-40 but a different chemical all together.


Greg knows a lot about this. 


At any rate, I didn't let my fear of embarrassment override the need to remedy the situation. 


In the same way, sometimes we are hesitant to ask for help with repentance. 


But God has given us priesthood leaders to help lubricate the lock of repentance. 


He wants desperately to help us open that door but some keys we can't free ourselves.


We can choose to walk away with the key in the door.  But the door still won't open.  


We need that help.  


Elder Gong described a situation in which a brother was struggling with sin and waiting outside a priesthood leader's door. 


Inside, that man knelt in prayer.  A clear impression comes: “Open the door and let the brother in.” With faith and trust God will help, the priesthood leader opens the door and embraces the brother. Each feels transforming love and trust for God and each other. Fortified, the brother can begin to repent and change.


What a gift this can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trust

Pancake Stirrers

Entitlement